Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Homeade Playdough Recipe

Have you ever made Homeade Play Dough? Well, neither had I until last night! Can I just tell you that at 11pm, my kids had long since been in bed and I was in the kitchen still mixing food coloring to achieve just the perfect shade! I had so much fun, and I know you will, too! I wanted to share the recipe with you on this rainy Wednesday, what a fun indoor afternoon project this would be! So come on, pick up your kids from carpool and after lunch, y'all try it! Let me know how it turns out!
~Enjoy, Rana

By the way, this is a great opportunity to introduce measuring and the color wheel to your children - they can help add the food coloring to discover how colors mix!

Homemade Play Dough
makes about 2.5 Cups

1 1/2 cups of flour
3/4 cups of salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 TB vegetable oil
1/2 TB cream of tarter
Liquid Food Coloring
 
Mix all of the ingredients into a saucepan. Add the food coloring to your liking.
Set your stove top to medium-low (about a 2.5 on a glass top stove). Stand by the pan and stir occasionally. When the batter look is gone and the ingredients start staying together when you stir (5-8 minutes), remove the pan from the heat. Lay out some wax paper and scoop play dough onto the wax paper. I can usually start kneading right away, but make sure that you check the dough for heat - you don't want to burn yourself!
Once the dough has been kneaded into a nice texture, place in an airtight container or zip lock. The snack sized zip lock is a perfect size to place your extra in and share with a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment